Thursday, September 30, 2010

Impromptu Paella(ish)

In an attempt to mix up the usual meal routine, I recently went looking through one of G's kid cookbooks in search of a new recipe. On this particular day, I came across a recipe called Chicken with Tomato Sauce and Rice. In recent months, introducing new foods has become a more difficult task so the recipe was quite perfect as it incorporated some of G’s favorite foods yet constructed them in a new and interesting manner. Unfortunately, I only had half the ingredients the recipe called for and therefore improvisation was required. Since I did not have chicken, the main ingredient, I went with sausage as a substitute. This actually worked in my favor as I’m convinced G only tried the meal after realizing it contained sausage. What I ended up with was a much less complicated and fussy yet delicious meal, essentially simplified paella. A saucy rice dish combined with onions, carrots, peas and sausage…an instant hit with G!


Natalie’s Paella(ish)

Sauté 1 small onion and 1 carrot, both chopped in some olive oil. Add approximately ½ cup tomato sauce, cover, and simmer for a bit until onions and carrots are tender. Add 1 cup cooked white rice to the mixture along with some frozen peas, stir and cook on low just long enough for the rice to absorb the tomato sauce. May need to add more depending on how saucing you like it. You can eat as is, adding more veggies if you like, or a protein such as chicken, sausage, or shrimp.

No comments:

Post a Comment