Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Meatloaf, Double-Beatloaf, I...Love Meatloaf?

As I was flipping through the pages of Jessica Seinfeld's brilliant children's cookbook, I came across a recipe for turkey meatloaf I just knew G would love. As she is a fan of anything turkey, it's just a bonus that four slabs of bacon rest neatly atop this loaf. I am certain G had never tasted bacon before, as it caused quite the little reaction. About three chews in, she actually reached inside her mouth, pulled out the half chewed piece of bacon and offered it to me to try. She looked pretty surprised when I denied the gnarled bacon bit but she gladly put it back in her mouth to finish. Just in case you are wondering, yes, I do realize that I am the only one who finds this story adorable. The point is, although I would not know, apparently this recipe is delicious.

Italian Meatloaf

Adapted from:
Deceptively Delicious
by Jessica Seinfeld

In a large bowl, soak 1 cup Italian-style breadcrumbs in 1/2 cup non-fat milk. Saute 1/2 onion, finely chopped in 2 tablespoons olive oil for 7-10 min. Add 2 celery stalks, finely chopped and cook for 3-4 min. longer. Put the mixture into the bowl with breadcrumbs and add 1 pound lean ground turkey, 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, 1/2 cup carrot puree, 1/4 cup ketchup, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/8 teaspoon pepper and stir to combine. Put into a 9x5 inch loaf pan and smooth over the top with a spoon. Pour 1 cup tomato sauce over top and place 4 slices turkey bacon across the top. Bake for 45-50 minutes at 350 degrees.

No comments:

Post a Comment